Sunday 3 August 2014

Over ont NY Moors

A long day in the Lakes the previous day and a terrible front of rain on its way, James and I headed East, as far as we could to give us as much climbing time as possible. We opted for Wainstones high on the North Yorkshire Moors, hoping that the wind would dry the crag after any showers passed more. Neither of us had been to Wainstones, so its always nice visiting somewhere new, exploring the crag, matching the guidebook to the crag in front of you. There are some good strong lines there, and many easier lines, which provided us with some nice routes to warm up on and familiarise ourselves with the softer Moors sandstone and its nodules of iron ore. 
James on Miss Muffet, Wainstones
I have never really taken to soloing, and even routes of VDiff and Severe get my heart going when I am 10 metres up them. I know that I can do the climbing and have complete belief in my ability to climb these routes. Perhaps I need to put myself into that situation more regularly to become more comfortable with it. 
Me on the Steeple and James on the Needle
We had a good run around the crag, following each other up routes, and the routes that we didn’t want to commit to soloing tying in and making short work of them. Although the routes are short they provide some good moves and are worthwhile. We obviously had to stand on top of the Needle and Steeple as well. It was a short sweet session before the rain came, and it rained hard as we dashed to the car. 

No comments:

Post a Comment